Professional Heating and Cooling Services
Residential and Commercial Service
Emergency Service Available

Indoor Air Quality: Carbon Monoxide


Published: October 16, 2015

The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide



Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous and life threatening gas that can build up in your home due to fuel-burning devices (furnaces, space heaters, boilers, water heaters, fire places, generators, etc.) that are not properly vented, operated, or maintained. Unfortunately, CO has no odor, color or taste, which means you, cannot detect it with your senses.

CO exposure causes an estimated 500 deaths yearly in the United States. On average, 8,000-15,000 people are examined or treated in hospitals each year due to non-fire related exposure to carbon monoxide. If you breathe in CO over long periods of time, it can cause an increased risk of heart disease or brain damage. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include a mild headache, dizziness, tiredness and nausea. CO is called the “silent killer” because we tend to ignore early signs, a person may lose consciousness and unable to escape to safety.

Here’s some good news; simple measures can be taken to ensure your family will be happy and healthy in your home. You should have your fuel-burning appliances checked and maintained by a qualified heating contractor every year to look for possible problems. Check for the following signs indicating a CO problem:
  • Streaks of soot around fuel-burning appliances;

  • Absence of an upward draft in your chimney;

  • Excess moisture found on windows, walls, or other cold surfaces;

  • Excessive rusting on flue pipes, other pipe connections, or appliance jacks;

  • Orange or yellow flames (should be blue) in your combustion appliances;

  • Small amount of water leaking from the base of the chimney vent, or flue pipe; and

  • Rust on the portion of the vent pipe visible from the outside.
At RCM Heating and Cooling, we do everything we can to correct these conditions to ensure healthy, breathable air in your home. We inspect and clean your furnace thoroughly during your tune-up each fall/winter, which includes testing for carbon monoxide to maintain consistent air quality. To maintain your HVAC system and to improve the quality of the air in your home, give us a call at (815) 485-6525.


Categories:
Tags: Carbon Monoxide, HVAC Maintenance, Indoor Air Quality